A Brain Hemorrhage occurs when bleeding takes place inside the brain or in the surrounding area. There are several causes of a brain haemorrhage. The brain haemorrhage is most likely to occur in adults, but these days even the young ones are affected by it as people suffer through a lot of stress and pressure. The bleeding prevents the nerve cells from communicating with other parts of the body, leaving them with no function.
Types of Brain Haemorrhage
- Intracranial haemorrhage– In this type, the bleeding takes place inside the skull.
- Intracerebral haemorrhage– When there is bleeding inside the brain, it is known as intracerebral Hemorrhage.
- Subarachnoid Haemorrhage: In this case, the bleeding occurs between the membrane and the brain.
- Epidural Haemorrhage– When the bleeding takes place in between the skull and brain.
Any type of brain haemorrhage is harmful and can cause severe damage or complications.
Causes of Brain Haemorrhage
There are several reasons why Brain haemorrhage takes place and how the bleeding starts inside the head. A brain haemorrhage occurs when a continuous increase in high blood pressure starts affecting the artery walls. Below are mentioned 6 causes that are responsible for the same-
High Blood Pressure– It can cause damage to the brain by weakening the arterial walls. If not treated and neglected, blood pressure can be one of the main reasons for getting a brain stroke.
Head Trauma– If someone has met with an accident and the head got injured, there is a specific need to get checked for getting head X-Ray done as in most cases, injuries are the prominent reason for brain haemorrhage.
Medicine Prescription– If the prescribed medicines are of heavy doses, they can directly affect people’s blood pressure and hypertension and contribute to brain haemorrhage.
Aneurysm weakens the swelling blood vessels, and it may burst and bleed inside the brain, causing a stroke.
Drugs– Over time, drug abuse can also weaken the artery walls, leading to hypertension and high blood pressure.
Brain Tumour– As a tumour has already affected the brain, it gets difficult for the nerves to connect further, and it builds pressure beside the walls causing a stroke.
Symptoms of Brain Haemorrhage
Symptoms can differ from cases; it majorly depends on where the bleeding occurs, the severity of bleeding, or how much damage is done. Usually, the symptoms tend to grow gradually and may worsen in the coming times. Few common symptoms are-
- A sudden headache
- changes in vision,
- Trouble swallowing, seizures,
- Loss of consciousness;
- Balance and coordination,
- The trouble with reading or writing
- Feeling numb
- Loss of consciousness
- Weakness in arms or legs
- Loss of balance
These symptoms are common to other problems too, do not panic and consult a doctor for severe symptoms.
Brain Haemorrhage Treatment
The treatment for it depends on the age and how critical the condition is. People with brain haemorrhages who are not critical can be put up on medications. Consult a doctor when the symptoms occur too often or are very serious. The doctor will examine you based on various tests, such as MRI OR CT scan, showing any bleeding inside the brain. Then, a neurological exam to check the swelling.
- Certain medications must be prescribed, like painkillers, corticosteroids, or osmotic to reduce swelling, and anticonvulsants to control seizures.
- Surgery can be done depending upon the criticalness of the bleeding inside the brain.
After the treatment, it is important to take care of a few things to prevent further complications. Even after surgery, it will take up to 4-6 weeks to completely heal or maybe more. Taking a proper diet and keeping a check on blood pressure levels is highly recommended. After the surgery, one should not indulge in activities that might put a strain on themselves.
Prevention Brain Haemorrhage
As it is said, Prevention is better than cure. However, there are several ways you can prevent it to some extent.
- Always wear a helmet while riding a two-wheeler and a seatbelt while riding a car.
- If you suffer from high blood pressure, do not skip on any medication or indulge in heavy activities.
- Go for a regular checkup and keep the doctor’s updated on your health.
- Strictly avoid smoking as it is known to be a leading cause of stroke.
- Diabetic patients should make sure that their sugar level is in control as many are overweight and have high blood pressure. All these things might put one at a greater risk of getting a stroke.
- Have a healthy diet; if you eat clean, you will be free from many health problems.
- Excess body weight might create complications and lead to a rise in high sugar levels, hypertension, cholesterol, and high blood pressure. Focusing on good health by even just walking for 15-30 minutes would prevent many problems.
It can be treated, but we need to be more preventive towards it.
If you are looking to consult a doctor and the Covid-19 situation restricts you to do so, you can look for options online wherein you can ask doctors online about your issues anytime and from anywhere.
Ask Vaidya Online Consultation App is one such application that provides online consultation from various professional doctors in your free time.