The Coronavirus pandemic has badly affected the lives of people globally. All of us know that it is a respiratory disease with common symptoms like cough, fever, runny nose, and difficulty breathing (in severe cases). WHO has advised to wear masks and maintain hygiene to avoid this deadly virus. Also, it is crucial to maintain oral hygiene amid Coronavirus. It is a contagious disease. So, maintain social distance and follow the safety guidelines.
How are Coronavirus and Oral Health Interrelated?
The Covid 19 effects on oral health include ageusia (a direct symptom of covid-19). As our mouth is a hub of bacteria, the risk of getting oral bacteria and viruses in the lungs is high. Research conducted in Qatar confirmed the link between covid-19 and oral health. It stated that patients with poor oral health were 3.5 times more likely to be admitted into the ICU than periodontitis-free patients. Hence, everybody should maintain oral hygiene amid Coronavirus.
Best Ways To Maintain Oral Hygiene during Covid
Here are the five ways to maintain oral hygiene during covid at home:
1 - Clean and Disinfect your Toothbrush
We don’t realize that our toothbrush can be a home for bacteria, viruses, and saliva. Using an improper toothbrush without cleaning can cause dental illness and also spread contagious diseases like covid-19. Viruses are non-living until they come in contact with a living thing. They can easily stay on the surface for about three days.
The American Dental Association (ADA) has suggested some toothbrush hygiene guidelines that everybody should follow:
- Always rinse off your toothbrush before brushing.
- You can use a 0.5 per cent hydrogen peroxide solution to disinfect your toothbrush.
- You can also rinse it or boil it in hot water.
- It is advised not to share your toothbrushes.
- If your toothbrush gets discoloured and the tips get rough, then it’s time to throw it away.
2 - Replace your Toothbrush Often
Dentists suggest replacing your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months. Dentists recommend changing it more often during the pandemic. Also, make sure to dry off your toothbrush after every use. Should not keep all the toothbrushes in your house together in the same container. Place them separately. Using electric toothbrushes gives more effective results.
3 - Follow a Good Oral Health Regime at Home
Many people are not able to visit dentists due to lockdowns in every region. Therefore, maintaining oral hygiene amid Coronavirus is necessary. You can easily practice dental care at home by following these tips.
- Make it a habit to brush your teeth at least twice a day. You can lightly brush your teeth for 2 minutes.
- Use fluoridated toothpaste for brushing.
- Flossing is the best way to clean between your teeth and prevents plaque and other dental issues. One-third of the tooth surface remains dirty if you don’t floss properly, resulting in tooth decay. You can take the advice of dentists if you don’t know how to floss.
- Reduce your daily intake of sugar. When you eat some sweets and snacks, then the PH of your mouth is imbalanced. It becomes acidic, which makes your tooth enamel weak. It can cause cavities.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking to maintain good oral health for the long term.
- The use of an antibacterial mouthwash is the best way to demolish Covid 19 effects on oral health. It prevents many dental problems like bad breath, plaque, tooth decay, and bacterias. It also strengthens your enamel.
4 - Stay Hydrated
Water helps you maintain proper PH balance in your mouth. Drinking ample amounts of water has several benefits, including activeness of the brain and production of saliva. Saliva is a fluid responsible for the digestion of food, maintaining PH, and cleansing your mouth. It also contains minerals that protect enamel.
5 - How to Take Care of Your Masked Mouth?
Some researchers have revealed that now covid is also spreading through the air. Even if you don’t come in direct contact with a person, you can catch the virus. So, don’t overlook wearing a mask. Wearing a mask blocks the tiny droplets in the air entering our mouth and nose. Hence preventing air-borne diseases like covid-19, flu, and cold to a great extent. Recently it has been advised by the Health Ministry in India to wear double masks. The second wave of covid is much more fatal.
But wearing a mask for a long time also causes dryness, mouth odour, and increased risk of cavities. To prevent this
- Wash mask after every use. If it is disposable, then that’s well and good.
- Drink lots of water and rinse with mouthwash from time to time.
- Brush your tongue regularly.
- Contact dentists if you have any gum disease which is causing bad breath.
There is a high risk of catching the virus if you have diabetes, heart disease, obesity, or high blood pressure. All these health issues are also related to the oral health of a person. Many pieces of evidence have proved that poor oral health led to serious respiratory ailments. So, take care of your oral health.
You can also contact certified doctors on ‘Ask Vaidya Online Consultation App. Now the consulting covid specialist doctor becomes easy with an online consultation. You can also avoid the medical visit as you can easily consult with the top COVID- 19 specialist doctors with Online Consultation Covid Care Package.