Diabetes Mellitus is a condition in which the body is unable to properly use the energy from the food that you consume. It happens because:
a) The pancreas does not produce insulin or even if they produce, it is produced in a very little quantity. Insulin is a hormone that helps in using sugar for energy.
b) The production of insulin is normal. But the produced insulin is unable to work in the way it should and this is known as insulin resistance.
Due to sedentary lifestyle and poor eating habits, the condition has become very common worldwide.
What are the risk factors for Diabetes?
- Family history of the condition
- Injury to the pancreas such as from infection, accidents, etc.
- Any autoimmune disease
- Any surgery or illness
Other than these, there are risk factors that are controllable:
- High blood pressure
- Use of steroids and some other medications
- High blood cholesterol levels
What are the symptoms to be watchful about
There are multiple symptoms like you feel a lot hungry and feel a lot thirsty. There is weight loss that can’t be explained and the mouth also stays dry. There is an urge for frequent urination too. Other symptoms include feeling tired, the vision that is blurred, tingling or numbness in hands and feet, slow healing of wounds, itchy skin, among others.
Diabetes can’t be cured, but can be managed:
- Be mindful of what you eat
- Exercise daily
- Take medicines as prescribed by the doctor
- Monitor your BP and blood glucose levels
- Get tests done as mentioned by the doctor